Substance use disorder has become a devastating epidemic with 192 Americans dying every day from an accidental drug overdose. According to the Illinois Department of Public Health, in 2016, 1,888 people in Illinois died from opioid-related overdoses. This figure is more than twice the rate of car crash fatalities and 1.5 times the number of homicidal deaths.
Live4Lali has been serving suburban Chicago for ten years providing critical prevention, education, treatment access, support programs, community solutions-building initiatives, and overdose prevention services to decrease the devastating toll of the opioid epidemic.
Mission: Live4Lali works to reduce stigma and prevent substance use disorder among individuals, families, and communities, and minimize the overall health, legal and social harms associated with substance use.
Recovery Programs Intern
The Recovery Programs Intern will work alongside the Director of Patient & Family Services to support the day-to-day functionality and management of the following services:
- Overdose Education & Naloxone Distribution (OEND) trainings
- SMART Recovery group host
- SMART Recovery Family & Friends host
- Community Resource Center (CRC) services
- Needle Exchange Program (Need2Know) harm reduction outreach program
- Case management and treatment navigation
- Respond to inquiries regarding programs and services
- Providing screenings and assessments for individuals and families seeking assistance or support for substance use disorder and/or dual diagnoses
- Facilitate recovery support group meetings
- Train a variety of audiences on overdose prevention and response
- Entering client and event information into database management system
- Representing Live4Lali at community events
- Administrative tasks, as needed
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate social work, counseling, or public health program or recent university graduate
- Preference will be given to candidate with experience in providing counseling services, including support groups and family counseling or individuals personally impacted by substance use disorders (with self or family/friend)
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Keen attention to detail – data entry requires this attribute
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Positive attitude and proactive approach to problem solving is a must
- Bilingual (written and oral fluency) in English/Spanish not required, but welcomed
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as with a team
- Flexibility to work some evening hours
- Completion of harm reduction, overdose prevention, and SMART Recovery host training, which will be provided by Live4Lali
The Recovery Programs Internship will be based in Arlington Heights, IL. The position will require a commitment of 20 hours per week and will receive a stipend. Start and end dates are flexible. Live4Lali complies with university requirements for internship credit. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply, as are those of all gender identities and sexual orientations.
Persons of color and LGBTQ persons are encouraged to apply. Live4Lali is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability in its procedures and policies.
HOW TO APPLY
All applicants should send the following to [email protected]:
- A resume
- A cover letter
- A short description (no more than 500 words) about how substance use has impacted you or someone you know.