POLICY & ADVOCACY INTERN
Assist the Co-Founder and Advocacy Strategist with all aspects of work on Live4Lali’s policy and advocacy priorities.
- Will gain direct experience learning about and implementing effective advocacy skills
- Will learn about complex system of factors affecting policy at local, state, and national levels.
- Will have an opportunity to observe and interact with different partners and Live4Lali staff involved in policy decisions.
- Will network within the addiction and overdose advocacy community.
- Will gain a deeper understanding of specific social issues, Live4Lali’s stance, and governmental responses.
- Will learn about process of coordinating advocacy across a statewide platform.
- Attend coalition meetings and congressional hearings
- Gather research and available evidence that support the need for legislation or programming
- Develop training materials for legislator, advocate, partner organizations and other stakeholders
- Assist with stakeholder training initiatives
- Prepare web and print materials for distribution (meeting agendas, policy fact sheets and FAQs, policy summaries, training documents.), including the creation of a website for the Illinois Harm Reduction & Recovery Coalition
- Recruit stakeholders and impacted individuals to assist with advocacy efforts
- Other duties and tasks as assigned
· Excellent technical writing and presentation/public speaking skills
· Strong research and analytical thinking abilities
· Graphic design skills and knowledge of the use of Canva a plus
· Must be currently enrolled or recent graduate of an undergraduate or graduate political science or public policy program.
· Ability to multi-task and make decisions in a fast-paced atmosphere
· Excellent computer and Smartphone skills
· Flexible work attitude: must be able to work productively in a team environment as well as under minimal supervision, taking the initiative to ask questions as needed.
· Available to work 15-20 hours per week
and LGBTQ persons are encouraged to apply. Live4Lali is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability in its procedures and policies.
This Internship will be remote, will require a commitment of up to 20 hours per week, and will receive a stipend of $1,500. Start and end dates are flexible, but preference will be given to candidates who can start in February 2021. The internship will go until June 2021.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your cover letter and resume via our application form https://forms.gle/umxiu5e4hGPm8XAJ9